From a first-time educator to a master teacher, Flight Works Alabama offers a variety of alternatives to traditional classroom learning and homeschool instruction. We can supplement your students’ education through hands-on exhibits, virtual reality experiences, workshop certifications, and kinesthetic-driven camps.
The National Academies of Sciences recently noted that the U.S. “is not developing and sustaining a workforce with the skills needed to compete in the 21st century,” including manufacturing. This is due to the gap that has been created, as traditional education systems and industry-based training programs have not conformed to the modern day skills required by advanced technologies.
To help fill this gap, Flight Works Alabama has partnered with the National Coalition of Certification Centers (NC3) and Snap-on Tools to provide industry recognized certifications. The certifications we offer provide a return on education and workforce development investments through hands-on training and state-of-the-art tools and equipment. Mastering soft and technical skills for successful careers is a necessity for today’s current and future generations.
The new Flight Works Alabama Aviation Education Center will help provide Mobile’s future workforce with the necessary preparation to pursue opportunities in the aerospace industry.
-Sen. Richard Shelby
Imagine a learning center where science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) are the focus of all learning activities. Flight Works Alabama’s workshops turn imagination into reality. From designing and prototyping to manufacturing products, our workshops include an array of hands-on skill-based activities. Learners complete the workshops understanding the skills mastered and how they are applicable to careers.
A snapshot of our workshops:
- 3D Printing
- The Science of Sublimation
- Drones 101
- Tool Safety and FOD
- Leadership Skills in the Workplace
- Biomimicry and Aviation
- Physics of Flight
- Global Logistics
- AND MORE!
Focusing on middle and high school students, camps will range from 1-5 days. These skills-based camps will weave science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) into various activities uniting education and FUN!
A preview of our camps:
- For the Love of Flight: An Introduction to Aviation. This five-day Aviation 101 camp uses interactive exhibits at Flight Works Alabama to put the "fun" in aviation fundamentals.
- Just Plane Crazy: Vex IQ Robot Camp. Students use creativity and innovation in the design of an educational robot. Each graduate of this three-day camp will be certified in robotics, programming, and time management.
- Camp Airtopia: A Drone Camp for Beginners. FAA certified teachers host this two-day camp. Students learn drone safety and proper piloting skills. Each camper will receive a flight logbook to track their progress as an unmanned vehicle pilot.
Inspiration is at the core of all Flight Works Alabama field trips. Students will enjoy the high-tech Discovery Space followed by a tour of the Airbus A320 Final Assembly Line. The goal of each experience is to say “WOW” and understand career opportunities associated with the aviation industry and beyond.
Recognizing the importance of continued education, Flight Works Alabama will offer an array of learning opportunities for educators.
Professional development classes will launch in 2020. From aviation-themed topics to industry-recognized certifications, providing educators with resources to enhance classroom instruction and beyond.
Motivated high school students can apply for FlightPath9, a program that includes up to 200 hours of technical and soft skills instruction.
Upon completion of the program, students are prepared to enter into the aerospace workforce and beyond.
As a team, Flight Works Alabama and our higher education partners strive to inspire and generate a 21st century workforce equipped with the skills and knowledge for manufacturing.
Our partnerships provide numerous opportunities, which include:
- Adult continuing education classes and workshops
- STEM workshops for K-12 students and teachers
- Research and Development
- Professional development and certifications
- Data collection and analysis
- Challenges and competitions
Higher Education Partners
Other Education Partners